Alternative media & movements
When you’re working for social change and tacking injustice, you might sometimes feel like you’re on your own. But there are others who are fighting the same battle.
Here are a few links to some of our favourite alternative news sites, blogs and organisations working to transform our communities to give you inspiration and ideas.
- New Maltida – independent journalism covering Australian and international politics, media and culture since 2004.
- Crikey – indépendant media for indépendant minds.
- On Line Opinion – Australia’s e-journal of social and political debate.
- The Monthly – indépendant coverage of politics, society and culture.
- The Australia Institute: Research that Matters - a progressive Australian think tank conducting research on economic, social and environmental issues to inform public debate and bring greater accountability to the democratic process.
- Transitions Network – a worldwide charitable network aiming to inspire, encourage, connect, support and train communities as they self-organise to meet our needs for community, livelihoods and fun.
- Citizens UK – training people who want to change the world in the principles of Community Organising so that with their neighbours they have the power to challenge politicians, councils, and businesses.
- New Economics Foundation - the UK’s leading think tank promoting social, economic and environmental justice to transform the economy so that it works for people and planet.
- Values and Frames – using values to build a more sustainable, equitable and democratic world led by an empowered, connected and durable movement of citizens.
- Common Cause USA – a grassroots organization dedicated to reinventing an open, honest, and accountable government that works for the public interest, and empowering ordinary people to make their voices heard.
- Bus Boys and Poets – five community cafes where racial and cultural connections are consciously uplifted through art, events and books.
- Human Rights Watch – an independent, international organization that works as part of a vibrant movement to uphold human dignity and advance the cause of human rights for all.
- Pioneers Post – the UK social enterprise magazine with news, views knowledge and analysis on business and finance driving social progress.
- Get Up! Action for Australia – an independent, grassroots, community advocacy organisation that seeks to build a more progressive Australia and hold politicians to account.
- Move Minds Global - building a social purpose culture where everyone has a role in making the world a better place.
- 350.org - a global climate movement including campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions.
- Avaaz – a global web movement to bring people-powered politics to decision-making everywhere.